Sunday 9 March 2014

I was on fire!

"If a thing's hard it's probably not worth doing." is one of my favourite Homer Simpson mottos. I simetimes feel I am following the opposite and equally absurd tack - doggedly persisting with something despite a seemingly impossible challenge.

It's not that I assume that the effort guarantees a worthwhile result - it's more that I have a clear vision of the product but have yet to perfect the technique for producing it to a high standard but with optimum effort.

A case in point is the "molecule" model seen here prepared for the first section of a mould to be cast in plaster. (This was my second attempt to construct the "shuttering" - a previous attempt using clay went pear-shaped.. yes, literally).

I've spent time in the studio nearly every evening this week, delighted with some work as it emerged from a glaze firing, disappointed with others.

I have leapt spontaneously into making new pieces and pushed on to complete some that have been waiting on the shelf.

I have put three pieces in a new material (Egyptian Paste) into a firing; I'll see how they turned out before I go in to work tomorrow!

Finally yesterday I made a model and cast a four-piece mould around it within a matter of hours. I was on fire! - we'll see whether the results were worth the effort when the smoke clears..

1 comment: